A couple of years ago my girlfriend and I decided to build a coop and raise some chickens.
Video of our current brood at their automatic waterer.
A batch of peeps in the summer kitchen.
Until their permanent home was complete, we needed a small, temporary outdoor structure.
In a level, shaded spot I removed the sod and built a 8′ x 4′ base on deck blocks and filled with gravel.
Floor is down, starting to frame in.
Windows in, ready for the doors and roofing.
Cheryl found two of these old 12 pane windows and we decided to change them out with the original windows. This one is framed in and hinged to open into the chicken house.
Removed the lathing and altered the window openings.
Heavy wire screen over the windows.
Roof on, windows and doors framed in, lathing back up.
Added decorative shutters. Redid the windows a second time – moved the screening inside and allowed the windows to open out.
Chickens have moved in.
The following year I decided to add a door eave with lattice sides.
The eave itself is built from old, untreated barn boards.
Antique door from our attic.
Nesting boxes, roosting perch and custom feeder.
Stage II – creating an outdoor space for the chickens… a screened-in pergola.
Screened in and ready for the cross-beams.
Staining the cross-beams.
The completed pergola.
Chickens enjoying their swing.
Filled the pergola with sand and laid landscaping stones for a entryway.
The finished structure.